Protest to support Bangladeshi Infiltrators turn violent in Mumbai, vehicles set on fire.
A protest called in at the Azad Maidan in Mumbai on Saturday against the recent Assam riots turned violent as protesters set ablaze vehicles parked nearby.
OB vans of three TV channels were also set on fire, and cameras of mediapersons were damaged.
Reports said some shops at the CST subway were also attacked.
Hundreds of protesters had gathered at the Azad Maidan Ground in south Mumbai on Saturday afternoon following a call by a city-based organisation Raza Academy to denounce the violence in Assam.
Azad Maidan Ground is located near Mumbai civic body headquarters and CST Mumbai railway station.
The protesters suddenly turned violent and torched vehicles and damaged buses. They also pelted stones.
Police opened fire in the air and resorted to lathicharge to disperse the mob, said a policeman deployed at the Azad Maidan.
Latest Articles from Bharath Focus
- Intolerant Intellectuals belittling Bharath; Why this sudden outburst? Suffering from Secular Syndrome? PART – 2
- Intolerant Intellectuals belittling Bharath; Why this sudden outburst? Suffering from Secular Syndrome?
- HK Exclusive : Hindutva ensures harmony and pluralism in Bharat; J.NandaKumar
- Martyred Col. Mahadik cremated with full military honours
- Cancer, cardio drugs on discount, Govt launches first AMRIT store
- Karnataka HC strikes down discriminatory Hindu Endowments Act
- Hindu Hruday Samrat Sri Ashok Singhal passes away
- ‘Culture is the expression of soul of the nation’: RSS Sah-Sarakaryavah Dattatreya Hosabale
- VHP Stages massive protest in Bengaluru, across Karnataka condemning attack on VHP activists, opposes Tipu Jayanti
- Bengaluru to host 5-day mega conclave Hindu Spiritual and Service Fair-2015