Qatar Retracts Fatwa Permitting Burning People

published on February 13, 2015

It appears that Islam Web, a popular website owned by Qatar’s Ministry of Awqaf and Islamic Affairs, may have been responsible for the rationale used by the Islamic State to burn alive a Jordanian pilot captive.

On February 7, 2006, the widely accessed Arabic website issued Fatwa No. 71480, titled “The Burning of Ias bin Abdul Yalil by Abu Bakr.” The fatwa, or Islamic decree, concluded that burning people as a form of punishment is permissible.

Ironically, hours after the Islamic State burned the pilot alive, Fatwa No. 71480 was removed from Islam Web.

What is interesting to note is that the more recent fatwa issued by the Islamic State to justify the burning of the pilot makes the very same arguments as this 2006 Islam Web fatwa did — citing the same sources, hadiths, tafsirs, even the logic of “humility” — implying that IS may well have relied on this fatwa from the Qatari website when writing its own to burn the pilot alive — hence, why the fatwa has now “mysteriously” disappeared from Islam Web.

Read complete report and original Fatwa @
http://www.meforum.org/5025/better-late-than-never-qatar-retracts-2006-fatwa

Welcome to Haindava Keralam! Register for Free or Login as a privileged HK member to enjoy auto-approval of your comments and to receive periodic updates.

Your comments, please.

Responses

  1. GSK Menon Reply

    February 14, 2015 at 9:04 am

    Qatar retracts Fatwa
    Barbaric superstitious beliefs, barbarian followers and a false concept of religion, has kept West Asia on the boil for the last 2000 years. Millions have perished in barbaric ways. In India itself, the Sikh Gurus were tortured mercilessly and killed apart from lakhs of people because they resisted the Arab invaders. In Goa thousands of Hindus, Jains and Buddhists were butchered by St.Francis Xavier and his brutes by starting the Goan Inquisition. These two barbaric faiths have been the bane of humanity.

  2. Raj Puducode Reply

    February 15, 2015 at 4:29 pm

    Jihadis on a rampage in the company of Indian converts
    CAIRO: A video purporting to show the mass beheading of Coptic Christian hostages has been released by militants in Libya claiming loyalty to the Islamic State group.

    The video, released on late Sunday night, depicted several men in orange jumpsuits being led along a beach, each accompanied by a masked militant. The men are made to kneel and one militant, dressed differently that the others, addresses the camera in North American-accented English.

    “All crusaders: safety for you will be only wishes, especially if you are fighting us all together. Therefore we will fight you all together,” he said. “The sea you have hidden Sheikh Osama Bin Laden’s body in, we swear to Allah we will mix it with your blood.”
    The men are then laid face-down and simultaneously beheaded.
    The militant speaker then pointed northward and said, “We will conquer Rome, by Allah’s permission”
    Militants in Libya had been holding 21 Egyptian Coptic Christians hostage for weeks, threatening them with death. The makers of the video identify themselves as the Tripoli Province of the Islamic State group — the Islamic militant group that controls about a third of Syria and Iraq.
    The Egyptian government declared a seven-day mourning period and President Abdel Fattah el-Sissi convened an emergency national security meeting to discuss a response. El-Sissi sent condolences to “the victims of terrorism,” according to a statement released by the presidency.
    Qalini Sanyout, whose two nephews were among the hostages, answered the phone on Sunday night amid the sound of wailing in the background.
    “What can we say? Can someone tell us if this is true.” he said repeatedly. “The whole village is in mourning. Men are covering their heads with dust and mud.”

  3. Raj Puducode Reply

    February 15, 2015 at 6:59 pm

    Religion of Pieces strikes again
    Religion of Peace strikes again in Nigeria now. At least 16 people were killed at a Nigerian bus station Sunday by a female suicide bomber, described as a teenager, who detonated an explosive device strapped to her body, the Associated Press reported. The report said 30 others were injured in the crowded bus station attack in the northeastern town of Damaturu, the capital of Yobe state.

    Witnesses told AP most of the victims were children who had either been selling peanuts or begging for money at the time of the explosion.

    “It was an eyesore looking at the scene which is littered with chopped flesh and battered bodies of victims,” Hassan Umar told the AP. “About 16 bodies were evacuated from the scene while over 30 persons were injured. Most casualties were children hawking sachets of water and peanuts. Some were begging for alms.”

    The attack fits the profile of Nigerian Islamist militant organization Boko Haram, which has been terrorizing the country’s northeastern region since 2009 and recently moved into neighboring countries Cameroon, Niger and Chad.

    The group has also expanded its use of females in suicide attacks, with girls as young as 10 fitted with explosives and sent into public places like bus stations and markets. Witnesses to the most recent attack in Damaturu said the girl detonated her explosive device, but witnesses have said militants detonated explosives strapped to ther girls remotely in past attacks.

    The attack at Damaturu came after authorities across the border in Niger’s Zinder region detained dozens of suspected militants, Agence France-Presse reported Sunday.

    Chad, Cameroon and Niger, along with Benin, joined Nigeria in an unprecedented joint effort to crush the insurgency, and have thus far claimed some early success, including the recapture of towns previously under rebel control. The five-country effort, backed by a resolution from the African Union, has committed 8,750 troops to the operation.

Latest Articles from World Focus

Did You Know?